Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Great Blue Heron

Here on Whidbey Island we have the privilege of seeing this magnificent bird on the shore, or in flocks in fields.

For weeks I have been trying to capture some good photos of the birds, but they were always way off in the distance, as in this first photo taken several weeks ago.

Today was a different story. The birds, about fifteen of them, had gathered in the field they like to frequent, much closer to the road. This time I was able to get better pictures.

Aren't they fabulous?

This one decided to perch on the fence post, and keep an eye on me as I photographed his buddies in the field.

2 comments:

Gail Wilson said...

OMG!!! What amazing pictures Keewee!! You did real good!!!!!

cassie-b said...

What great pictures. I've never seen so many great blues at one time.

When I lived on Lake George in New York, we had a great blue that landed on our swim platform every day and groom him (her)self. It often took him half an hour to complete his grooming. I enjoyed watching so much that I found it difficult to tear myself away from the window.

Thanks for the pictures, and thanks for the memories.

Cas