Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Asian chicken noodle soup















1 tsp. vegetable oil
3 tsp. grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, grated
3 T soy sauce
1 tsp. granulated sugar
4 cups chicken stock
2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
2 heads baby bok choy, thinly sliced, green and stalks separated
1 cup cooked chicken meat, shredded
dash of rice wine vinegar
4 eggs
1/2lb angel hair pasta, cooked rinsed and tossed with sesame oil
sliced scallion and red pepper flakes for garnish

1. Heat oil in a medium soup pot. add ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant. Add soy sauce, sugar, chicken stock, sesame oil and bok choy stalks.Simmer 5 minutes. Add chicken and bok choy greens. Simmer until chicken is heated through and bok choy is bright green.
2. bring a wide shallow pan of water to a boil, reduce to a bare simmer. Add a dash of rice wine vinegar. Crack one egg at a time into a small dish and gently slide each one into the simmering water. Gently poach until whites are done and yolks are still runny. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a plate.
3. Divide noodles between 4 bowls, creating a nest like pile in the center of each bowl. Ladle the soup into the bowls, and top with a poached egg. Garnish with chopped scallions and red pepper flakes.

I made just half of the recipe for myself, poached the egg until the yolk was a little firmer, as that is the way I like my eggs, and enjoyed the soup for my dinner. I will have the other half for tomorrow's lunch, minus the egg. It's not that I don't like the egg, it is just that I watch how many I consume in a week. Besides, the soup is just as tasty without an egg on top.
I really enjoyed the second bowl of soup for my dinner last night, as I am feeling somewhat puny with this viral infection I have, and have lost my appetite. The red pepper flakes kicks the dish up a notch making it very tasty.

No comments: