Saturday, September 30, 2006

Banana Oatmeal bread

For those of us watching our cholesterol, we know how good oatmeal is for us and if you substitute the whole eggs for eggbeaters you will have a healthy bread. Enjoy it for breakfast with your favorite jam, or a snack, or warm a slice in the microwave and put a dollop of Cool Whip on top and eat it for dessert.
I have even added a few extra spices to the mix giving it a little extra flavor.
This morning, for my breakfast, I ate a slice with a spoonful of homemade 'freezer blackberry jam' Yummmm!

Banana Oatmeal bread

Ingredients

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
3 tsp canola oil
1 large egg(s), beaten
2 medium egg white(s), beaten
3 large banana(s), ripe
1 cup uncooked old fashioned oats

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Add oil and eggs; mix thoroughly.

2. In a smaller bowl, mash bananas with a potato masher or fork. Add bananas and oatmeal to batter.

3. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. (I like to put a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, then all you need do once the bread is cooked, is run a knife around the edges of the pan, and the bread will drop right out)
Pour batter into pan and bake until top of loaf is firm to touch, 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Flip out and cool on a wire rack for another 10 minutes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi from the Wairarapa...I found your blog just the other day since your lunch with Mary Lou. Have borrowed your Banana Oatmeal bread Recipe and am looking to convert it to gluten free. My sister visits here with her autistic daughter for an hour on Saturday and Sunday and I usually bake about every second weekend as a treat. As a mere male I have this theory that if one follows recipes like car repair manuals then anythings possible ;) Her hubby is on a gluten free diet, so its nice to make something for her to take home that he can eat...Regards from spring in NZ.

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

edt, thank you for dropping by. I sure hope you enjoy the recipe, and it is very easy to make.
PS my home town in NZ is Palmerston North

Anonymous said...

MMM, that would smell fantastic while baking!

Marie said...

Mmm. I'm going to try this! I've been making oatmeal pancakes often... I think oatmeal banana bread sounds delish & moist too!