Tuesday, February 05, 2008

CHOW MEIN

During my visit to New Zealand last November, I came across an old recipe book in a thrift store. In the book were quite a few recipes similar to the ones my Mother used to bake. This Chow Mein is one of them, although I have substituted snow peas for the green beans in the original recipe.


1tbs butter.
1 med. onion.
1/2lb lean hamburger or you could use chicken.
1 pkt chicken noodle soup.
11/4 cups of water, I found I had to add more.
1tsp soy sauce.
1/2 tbs. sugar.
1/4 lb green beans.
1/4 cabbage. I like savoy cabbage.
1tbs. rice.
salt & pepper to taste.
1/2 tbs. curry powder.
Brown the hamburger and onion in the butter.
Add all the other ingredients except the cabbage. If you use snow peas also leave these out until later.
Simmer 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add cabbage (and snow peas if substituted) and simmer for about 5 more minutes or until the vegetables are cooked. I prefer my vegetables to be still a little on the crisp side.

Notes: After making the Chow Mein and tasting it, I think I would make a couple of changes. I found the chicken soup mix to be rather salty, so I would use egg noodles and a good quality chicken broth instead. I would use a little more soy sauce and curry powder for a fuller flavor. Also 3 tbs. rice. It is all a matter of what you like.



No comments: