Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I saved the day!

It was a very early start to the morning. Just before 4 am we woke up to the slaughter, howls and yips of a coyote telling all his buddies *come and get it, breakfast is ready*

Mr.C and I jumped out of bed to look out the window to see if we could spot the rabbit killer and his buddies, as it sounded as though they were just outside the window. we did not see anything so decided to get a couple more hours sleep.

Mr. C was soon back in dreamland, but sleep eluded me so I lay there listening to the sounds of the Robin's early chorus. All of a sudden the Robin's chorus changed to one of alarm, and other birds picked up the calls.

My curiosity got the better of me so I donned my robe and slippers and quietly opened the front door and stepped outside into the moist cool morning. I was not having any scrawny coyote killing and eating any rabbits in our yard.

With a stick in hand and moving very quietly, I crept towards the bird sounds around the side of the house. As I rounded the corner, the crows started to swoop above the tree tops cawing their alarm cries and joining the distress calls of the other birds, what a helluva racket.

My eyes swept the tall grass and wild blackberry bushes searching for a sign of those stinkin' coyotes, but not a movement did I see and by this time the bird cries were almost deafening as they were all so very agitated.

There appeared to be nothing on the ground to be upsetting the birds, so I started looking up in the trees, and lo and behold, there was the cause of the commotion. Two huge owls, (they could have carried me off, well, at least a decent sized rabbit or other unfortunate critter) were seemingly oblivious to the dive bombing birds and were intent on catching their breakfast. Not around here they weren't.

I took a firm hold on my stick and beat on the trunk of the tree and with a huge flurry of wings the owls flew off with rowdy crows in hot pursuit.

Yah!! I saved the day, none of our bunnies are going to be breakfast, at least for today.



4 comments:

steve said...

I suppose if they had got a bunny it would be a case of whhoooooo done it!

Ginco said...

I can,t resist those feathered
friends, even the cunning coyote,
just love 'em.
The pleasure would be all mine
at such wee hours of the morning.
You are so lucky to have it all
around you Keewee!!

Ted said...

Good job Keewee!

Anonymous said...

Madam,
May I respectfully suggest that stalking coyotes, with a stick, while they are feeding is not a good idea.

Thank you,
Flintlock Tom