Friday, June 23, 2006

Pickled Onions

For all of you who have asked, here is the pickled onion recipe.

Keep in mind that I have not done any pickled onions for 30 years.
I used malt vinegar back then, but with this batch I decided on apple cider vinegar.
I also did not add any of the spices. It is up to you to add spices or not, depends on the taste you are wanting. Nothing like a little experimenting.

3-4 lb small onions
½ cup salt
water to cover
for each jar allow:
2 peppercorns
1 clove
1 chilli
vinegar

Pour hot water over onions to loosen the skin, then peel (use a stainless knife)
Put in a large china, stainless steel, or glass bowl.
Sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water. Cover and stand 24 hours.
Drain onions and place in clean pickle jars. Stand upside down on newspaper and leave to drain a further 24 hours.
In each jar place the spices and cover with cold vinegar.
Seal the jars, store for 4 weeks before use.

I drained my onions and rolled them on paper towels to dry them, then put them into the jars, and covered with vinegar. Saved me waiting the second 24 hours
In the picture, I have plastic wrap on the jars as I did not have lids at the time, but have since replaced the plastic with lids.

Have fun with the pickles and let me know how they turn out.
I will try to remember to let you know how mine turn out.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks keewee, we will try it out as soon as we get back to the "real World"!!

Anonymous said...

thanks I will be trying these out next week.

helen