Friday, January 05, 2007

Gingernuts

This recipe for gingernuts was given to me about 40 years ago. I have made a couple of ingredient substitutions as I could not find the ingredients here in the USA.

The recipe is as my Mother-in-law wrote it for me, in the back of an old recipe book.

1/2lb butter
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten together

Sift:
4 large cups flour
2tsp. baking powder
4tsp. ginger
2tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. mixed spice (substitute ground allspice)
Golden syrup

Cream the butter and sugar until creamy add eggs and combine.

Lightly stir in the sifted dry ingredients.

Pour in the warmed golden syrup. You can find Lyles Golden Syrup in some supermarkets,or you can send for some. Get the syrup in the can.
I prefer Steens
syrup.

As for the amount of syrup, you slowly add just enough until the mixture is easy to handle.
Take large walnut size pieces and roll in hands to form balls.

Place on a greased cookie sheet, or on a parchment covered cookie sheet, flatten with a fork, or make thumb indentations in centers of cookies.

Bake 350F for about 12-13 minutes or until just starting to brown.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like one I'm gonna have to try.

Are you sure about that 250F ? That sounds low?

MC

Anonymous said...

Oooops! That should be 350!

..... KeeWee

Bibi said...

... sounds really good. I love Lyle's ... used to lick it off the spoon as a kid.

Anonymous said...

They look absolutely delicious. I'm not quite sure what golden syrup is. I'll have to look around.

Have a great day.

Maria Verivaki said...

hi keewee, i've just made some gingernuts of the more traditional variety (with a story to tell, too)! organicallycooked.blogspot.com