Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF KEEWEE

There's a little nip in the air this morning, about 57 degrees according to the thermometer. As I wandered the vegetable garden this morning, large fat green tomatoes weighed down the vines and it crossed my mind that unless we get some nice hot days, those tomatoes are going to remain green. The kohlrabi are getting nice and plump, in fact there is one to harvest right now, which I will get to, after work tonight. There are beans and peas which also need to be picked, and a little fish fertilizer to water on some of the other vegetables. I am very pleased with my first efforts in raising vegetables the only downside is the late start in summer which may mean some of the vegetable will not mature. Next year MrC. is going to build me a greenhouse, I can hardly wait for it to be constructed so I can see what I can produce from a sheltered environment.
As I sit here at my PC I have my own little zoo right outside the window. There are blue jays, nuthatches, finches, sparrows, and chickadees at the bird feeder and four rabbits and Towhees underneath enjoying all the seed dropped from above. Nailed to the willow tree a few feet from the bird feeder, is a feeder for the squirrels I made from a gallon milk jug. I thought if I had a feeder just for these little guys, they would leave the bird feeders alone, and by golly, my plan has worked. Right now I can see just the tail of the smallest squirrel hanging out of the opening of the squirrel feeder, as he enjoys his breakfast from inside.
The sun has just reached the Camellia bush outside the den window, and the topsides of the leaves being kissed by the early morning sun, look as though they have been given a covering of gold leaf.
What a shame I have to work today, as I would rather spend my time outdoors playing in the garden. Soon it is going to be too cold for outdoor activities so I am spending all my free time getting the yard in shape. I spent three weekends cleaning out the carport as it was a 'catchall' for everything we were not using or brought home from yard sales etc. There was room just for our small Honda and I wanted both our cars to fit in there. I am sure there are some of you out there with the same problem, due to all my efforts we now have a clean junk free carport. Yesterday as I arrived home from Costco, with a car full of groceries etc. It was a pleasure to drive under the shelter of carport out of the rain to unload the car. Ahhhh! life is good.
Time has run out for blogging so I must get ready for my day of work, which is really a pleasure now I have a new job as a caregiver, There are many rewards, each and every day, as I visit my clients.



5 comments:

Maria Verivaki said...

green tomatoes can be fried - in the meantime, i've made about 20 kilos worth of tomato sauce, and have given some away.

i wish we had some rain here too - but it wont come for at least amonth from now...

mistaya's M.O.M. said...

KEEWEE, I ENJOYED THIS POST SO VERY MUCH. IT DOES SOUND LIKE YOU HAVE BEEN VERY BUSY THE LAST FEW WEEKS. AND JUST IMAGINE WHAT YOUR GARDEN WILL PRODUCE DURING THE SEASON NEXT YEAR. EXPERIENCE IS SUCH A WONDERFUL TEACHER.

Anonymous said...

Having the same trouble with our tom's loads on but no sun to ripen them

lom

Ted said...

Kinda having the same problems here. Been blogging about some of it. Hydrdrangea season is here and that is first but it is tough to ignore some of the colors in the trees and the 45 degree mornings but fall is my favorite season out here and I am really looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

I too have many green tomatoes.. but sure enough.. they are slowly turning red. Much of my garden is done for the season.. but the tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers are still going strong.

Love all your little critters. :-)