Saturday, January 02, 2010

Red - Eye Chili

On New Years day I wanted to relax and watch TV, so I threw all the ingredients for this chili in the slow cooker and left it until done. The recipe comes from Sandra Lee's semi - homemade slow cooker recipe book. I did have to make a couple of substitutions due to not having everything the recipe calls for.

2 pounds pork shoulder cut into bite-sized pieces. I used pork steaks which worked just as well.
2 cans (15oz each) kidney beans, drained. All I had in the pantry was black beans, so used them and they tasted just fine
2 cans (14oz each) diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained.
1 cup frozen chopped onions, I used fresh.
2 packets (1.25 oz) mild chili seasoning.
2 tablespoons instant coffee granules.
2 tablespoons light brown sugar.
1. season the pork with salt and pepper, and place in 4-quart cooker.
2. Add remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly.
3. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours.

The coffee gave the chili a rich taste, and I added the dollop of sour cream on top for extra flavor.
A nice big piece of cornbread rounded out the meal.

2 comments:

edt said...

O I REALLY wish we could have chillie but me mam's digestion cant cope. Pan fried lamb chops with salad for dinner tonight. :)

McDinzie said...

looks damn fine