Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Queen’s 80th Birthday


In 1952, while in Kenya en route to Australia and New Zealand, Elizabeth’s father died; she immediately became the new monarch.

Elizabeth’s coronation took place in June 1953. She was crowned Queen Elizabeth II.





The school children of New Zealand were presented with commemorative mugs, to celebrate the coronation. Sadly I no longer have mine.


This lavishly gold trimmed mug marks the Coronation of Elizabeth II in 1953. A portrait of the Queen facing left appears on the front. "Coronation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth " appears on the reverse. It stands 3" high with a diameter of 3". It is marked with a crown and "Radfords Bone China Made in England". Today the mug is worth $45.00

Just months after her Coronation, Queen Elizabeth II became the first reigning sovereign to visit New Zealand. At the end of her first day here she told the people "though this is my first visit to New Zealand, I have the impression that I know it well and I know that here I shall feel at home." During her five week stay, the young queen charmed and enthralled all with her eloquence and beauty and delivered her Christmas message to the Commonwealth.

I was lucky to see Queen Elizabeth up close when she visited New Zealand in the 1950’s

I was five years old and had just started school. All the schools in Palmerston North were closed for the visit of Queen Elizabeth so the children would have the opportunity to see the Queen as she made her way around the city.

My memories are a little vague, as I recall this day, I was with my family lined up along the route Queen Elizabeth and her husband Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh were to be driven in an open car.

At five years old most of us kids were all pretty much impressed by the Queen’s visit, I know I was, and when she was driven by just about ten feet away I was in awe. "this is the Queen , she lives in a castle, wears a crown and everything, and has lots of coaches, one of them being made out of real gold". Ahhh! Memories of a child.

Buckingham Palace is planning a number of events to celebrate The Queen's 80th birthday in 2006, both around Her Majesty's actual birthday on 21 April and her official birthday on 17 June.

No comments: