Friday, November 10, 2006

Bacon,& Egg pie

  • one 400 gram / 14 oz packet of puff or flaky pastry
  • 4 to 6 rashers (slices) of bacon * British bacon is much
  • leaner than you get here, so find the leanest bacon you can, or as I do, substitute smoked ham slices.
  • 6 eggs
  • ½ cup of frozen peas (optional)
  • ½ cup of frozen corn kernels (optional)
  • 2 large tomatoes (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F or gas mark 6. Roll out the pastry to fit the bottom of a pie or flan dish and put aside enough to cover the dish. Remove the rind and any excess fat from the bacon. Lay the bacon on top of the pastry in the dish. Break each egg into a cup and pour over the bacon. Pierce each yolk with a fork, spreading the egg around to cover the whole pie base. Sprinkle the frozen vegetables over the egg and slice the tomatoes and arrange neatly. Season and cover securely with the pastry lid, crimping the edges. Pierce the pastry lid with a fork or knife to let any steam escape while the pie is cooking. Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the egg has set. Serve warm or cold.

(Serves 4 to 6)

Variations: add some of your favorite grated cheese, or finely sliced green onion.

My Mother cooked bacon and egg pie quite often. We would usually take it on picnics have it for Brunch, or it would be served for supper when the folks would have friends over to play cards.
I did not have time to bake a pie for a picture so borrowed this from
www.realpatisserie.co.uk
and of course mine looks just as nice.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

rashers.......mmmmmmmmmmmm

this would be great for brunch too
commandress

Anonymous said...

Now.. this just sounds too good! :-)

Anonymous said...

hi keewee :-)
head over to the smallest minority.
too cute!!

commandress

Mary Lou said...

OOOOO SOunds Great!

Hey was that you riding my bumper through the Pass yesterday? Then wizzing around me at 65 MPH just about the swinomish slough? Little white haired lady, in a little white car. I couldnt see the face. about 200?

BobG said...

I'll bet that would be good with prosciutto instead of bacon.

Rivrdog said...

...or Black Forest Ham.

Wonder what kind of beer goes with this?

Anonymous said...

Im from New Zealand and this is exactly how my mum made it. Yum!

kylee said...

I had no idea that this was a Kiwi thing. I just asked my (American) husband if he likes Bacon and Egg pie and he looked at me like I'm mad.

I'm kiwi, born and raised - live in USA 1 year now. Not a patch on your 28 ex-pat experience!

Anonymous said...

Hooray Bacon and egg pie where the egg isn't mixed up. Best cold with Wattie's tomatow sauce or brown sauce.

Conor

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I know this is a bit old but google brought it up when i searched for bacon and egg pie.

I followed your recipe (mostly) and it tasted just like my mum used to make in NZ.

Thanks a lot :)

Anonymous said...

I havent had bacon and egg pie in so long... Im a kiwi living in the USA. Ive been here for 9 years now. Im craving Bacon and egg pie so I will try this tonight for dinner... just wish I had some watties sauce!!!!