Thursday, December 15, 2005

A KIWI CHRISTMAS TREAT

Afghans

These biscuits (cookies) were baked every Christmas by my mother, then by myself when I had a family. As for them being a ‘small treat,’ they are kinda’ like potato chips, who can stop at just one?
As most American recipes use cup measures, I suggest, if you do not have a scale, buy one of those small scales used to measure diet size portions. I found one at a dollar store.


Afghan Biscuits
Deceptively decadent chocolate biscuit ideal with coffee, after dinner or as a small treat. They have a similar texture to shortbread only better.

BISCUITS
7 ounces butter
3 ounces sugar
6 ounces flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup corn flakes, slightly crushed after measuring.
1/2 cup desiccated coconut (needs to be unsweetened finely shredded) The brand I found was next to the sweetened flaked coconut, or sometimes found in the organic section.

ICING
1 1/2 cup icing sugar (powdered sugar)
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons hot water
Stir all together until smooth.

walnuts (to decorate) I don’t like walnuts so I leave them off

Cream softened butter and sugar, add sifted flour and cocoa. Stir in coconut and crushed corn flakes.
Put small spoonfuls on a greased oven tray and bake about 15 minutes at 350F
Leave them on the oven tray a few minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool.
When cold, ice and place piece of walnut on top of each biscuit.

After I ice mine, I dunk the icing side of each biscuit in some of the coconut



1 comment:

Maria Verivaki said...

yum yum, even better than the original recipe which doesn't use coconut