Thursday, March 15, 2007

Caramel Meringue

The theme for this weeks Carnival of Recipes is to celebrate Saint Patricks Day. This recipe is not Irish, but I bake it, and I do have some Irish blood in my veins. That is about as close to Irish as it comes. *grin*
This recipe came from my Mother's kitchen. I have had to make adjustments to the original weights and measures, as the original 1960's recipe called for teacup quantities, and used Golden Syrup, which I have found here in USA. Lyles makes Golden syrup, or you can use Steens Cane Syrup. or maybe a dark Karo may work. I prefer the flavor of Lyles syrup.

3 oz butter
1-1/2 tbs. sugar
1 egg
1-1/4 cups flour
1tsp. baking powder
pinch salt


Cream butter and sugar, add egg and beat well. Add sifted flour, baking powder and salt. Roll out on greased parchment paper (about 1/4" thick) Bake 5 minutes at 350F



I actually put the greased parchment paper in a pan, and placed a piece of plastic wrap over the dough and pressed it into place with my fingers. I think this was too much work, so next time I will place it on a cookie sheet and roll it out as the recipe suggests.





FILLING:
1/2 tin sweetened condensed milk
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp Golden Syrup (Lyles, Steens cane syrup, or dark karo)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 egg yolks
1-1/2 tbsp. flour,
1 tsp Vanilla




Put condensed milk, butter, syrup, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla into saucepan. Warm mixture just until butter has melted, then add the flour and stir, remove from heat and pour over the baked crust.







Cover the caramel with meringue made with 2 egg whites beaten stiffly, then add 4 tbsp. sugar beating again until incorporated.

The original recipe says Bake about 40 minutes at 350F






I found I had to keep an eye on the meringue as it browned rather quickly, so I removed the Caramel Meringue before it was too dark.

Cut while hot.

No comments: