Saturday, August 22, 2009

A day off for fun

This morning Mr C and I decided to go garage sale hopping, and we both found a few treasures to bring home.

I found the large flower pots, the book and the fish shaped serving (for lack of a better word) dish, at separate garage sales. The pots will get a good scrubbing, then painted using a can of the special paint made especially for plastics. I have in mind to use some nice bright colors on them so they will be a focal point in my garden. As I glanced briefly through the book before deciding to buy it, I found there was some very useful information on growing vegetables, and for a dollar I couldn't go wrong.

When I saw this fish shaped 'thing' sitting on a piece of plywood with other merchandise for sale, I was immediately intrigued. What on earth is that, I asked myself? The woman who was hosting the yard sale came by, so I asked her about this unusual 'object D' art' I was told that it came from Mexico and it was used in restaurants to hold, and keep food hot. A can of Sterno was placed inside the mouth of the fish and lit to keep the top of the server hot. H'ors deurves were then placed in the center section, while tooth picks filled the sections at either end. I don't know if I will ever use it as intended, which would certainly be a talking point at a party, or if it will end up as garden art. I nearly forgot to tell you, that I also bought a nearly new push lawnmower for $2 I have wanted one to mow the grass in front of the vegetable garden, but did not want to pay around $85 for a new one. Mr C is going to adjust the blades so it will do a better job, and I will be able to keep the grass under control. The rabbits are way too slow in doing their part to help *grin*


As we were driving down a narrow road after perusing yet another yard sale, I had Mr C stop our car, so I could snap a picture of the bird houses adorning the tops of the fence posts surrounding a garden.
That was our fun morning, and to top it off, we stopped a Dairy Queen for a Blizzard treat.

1 comment:

Chloe m said...

Hi Keewee,
That is a very interesting header!
I like the Kiwi on the sign, I always thought they were very intriguing birds.
I love your finds. Garage sales are such fun!
Rosey