Tuesday, April 29, 2008

One of the many pleasures of my days, is watching the birds which visit our feeders or the gardens. Just recently I changed from the generic birdseed I was using to fill the feeders, to black sunflower seed, and also hanging a suet feeder. I am delighted to see quite a number of different birds enjoying the new bounty, and coming back for more.

There are many of these Golden Crowned Sparrows stopping by every day for their seed, and there are also White Crowned Sparrows, we nicknamed "little bicycle helmet heads" You will understand why we named them so, when you see pictures of them, within the next week, when I do the next post on my feathered friends.

Chestnut Backed Chickadee

Chickadees are cheeky little guys, often hanging upside down to feed. You have to be on the ball to snap pictures of these little birds, as they are never still for very long.

Black Capped Chickadee

This little guy held his pose long enough for me to zoom right in on him.

Mom & Pop American Goldfinch

We are delighted to see many goldfinches at the feeder since changing to black sunflower seed.

4 comments:

Ginco said...

You are so lucky to have these lovely birds right on your doorstep.
The Chicadee is such a cutie!
OK, let's see if this comment goes thru. Gosh blogger is driving me MAD!!!

Mary Lou said...

I LOVE all the different birds now. I switched to Black Oil about 5 years ago, but I also use Flyers Choice from Cenex, and suet feeders for the woodpeckers and kinglets and chickadees. Yesterday I had a flock of 10-15 Evening Grosbeaks sitting on the platform feeder and then a flock of doves, and 4 Band tailed pigeons. That platform was CROWDED!! I am filling hummers bottles daily, and the seed feeders too. I have to get more Niger seed for the Pine Siskins!

Anonymous said...

I too found that switching to a more deluxe birdseed mix increased the variety of feathered visitors. I too could sit for hours and just watch them. Love your photos.

The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Those are some amazing pictures, keewee.

Thanks for sharing them. :)