Turkey Shepherd's pie with mashed sweet potato
- 1 large sweet potato(es), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion(s), chopped
- 2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 6 medium baby carrots, chopped
- 20 oz raw turkey sausage, sweet Italian-variety, casings removed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 10 3/4 fl oz canned tomato soup, made with low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and pour in enough water to cover potatoes. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil; boil until fork-tender, about 8 minutes. Drain potatoes; return potatoes to pan. Mash potatoes with buttermilk and garlic powder until smooth; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add carrots; sauté 1 minute. Remove vegetables from skillet; set aside.
- Add sausage to skillet; sauté until browned, breaking up sausage as it cooks with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Return vegetables to skillet; stir to combine. Add oregano, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper; cook 1 minute. Add soup; simmer until liquid is absorbed and mixture is thick, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and spoon mixture into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Spoon mashed potatoes over turkey mixture and spread into an even layer using the back of a wooden spoon.
- Bake until filling is bubbly, about 25 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve.
This looks yummy, I am going to try it in the week.
Now .. this just sounds so very very good.
Post a Comment