Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A Chilhood Memory


CHOCOLATE

Isn’t there a rule which says? “ you must consume chocolate every day?” No, well there should be.
Why I love chocolate so much today, is probably a result of not getting enough chocolate during my childhood.
OK, I thought this was a good excuse, it is my story and I am sticking to it.

When I was a child, chocolate was kept for ‘special occasions’. Every Easter my two brothers and I would receive a large hollow Cadbury’s egg. The boys would have theirs eaten that very day, but mine would last a whole lot longer.

I always unwrapped the beautiful colored patterned foil very carefully and smoothed it out so I could keep it with my other kid treasures. I would then nibble a small hole in the top of the egg, just enough so I could reach one finger inside and break off small bite size pieces from around the hole. Over the next few days I would break off small pieces, enjoying each morsel, until the egg was finished.

When my brothers would ask me for some of my chocolate, I would always tell them, in true kid fashion, "you should not be so piggy, and make yours last longer!" Of course, this led to all kinds of name calling, which Mum had to come and stop before it led to blows.

Christmas was one other time the family enjoyed chocolate. This time it was a large box of ROSES chocolates, mmmmm soft cream centers, nuts, caramel, etc. and Mum held out the box so each of us could choose our favorite, foil wrapped chocolate, thereby stopping any squabbles between us kids.

Christmas was always when my family went on vacation. Here in USA, in some states, we freeze our buns off at Christmas, in New Zealand we enjoy the warm days of summer.

This one particular vacation we did not have the usual box of ROSES chocolates, instead Mum brought out this humungeous block of SOLID CHOCOLATE, it seemed it was about eight inches by eight inches by one inch thick, you can imagine the look on us three kids’ faces, I am sure our chins, covered in drool, hit our chests.

Mum then proceeded to break off nice large chunks of the chocolate for us, ooooooooh I still remember the feel of that chocolate melting in my mouth, and that much chocolate at one time, if this was heaven, I had arrived!

No wonder I am such a Chocoholic





1 comment:

The Conservative UAW Guy said...

This post reminds me of New Orleans....