Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A Happy Childhood Memory


This morning, as I was sitting at the kitchen table watching, sparrows, juncos, and chickadees at my birdfeeder, I was reminded of a small bird I used to be fascinated by when I was growing up in New Zealand.

This small bird is called a Fantail, they mostly live on forest edges and in scrub habitats, but can often be seen in town in parks and gardens. We were lucky enough to have many trees around our home so the fantails were plentiful.

Fantails occasionally eat fruit, and berries, but they mostly eat insects.

It was when the fantails are catching insects that they are most interesting.

When catching insects in the air they are true acrobats, as they could change direction very quickly, they would dive and swoop, their tails would fan out, and they would almost come to a dead stop.

I spent many happy hours watching fantails in our yard.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the maoris belive if a fantail flys in doors a death is imminent.by the way a belated happy birthday.i hope you had a good one.best wishes daphne.