Sunday, July 02, 2006

Getting ready for vacation

This coming Monday we are off to Juneau Alaska for 13 days. I usually have my friend Lori come over and water my garden, but this year there is more garden than usual, and I do not want her to have to stand around with hose in hand watering my garden for half an hour each day.
I happened upon this yard watering system at Wal Mart for under $40. It is so cool as I can hook four hoses to the system if I want, and program each station to come on at selected times, days and length of watering times.


I have hoses attached to two valves set to come on and automatically water my front yard garden and the new side garden. The timers are set to come on early evening and shut off after just 99 minutes of water through soaker hoses. Just enough time to keep the ground moist in this heat.










There are two hand held hoses are hooked to the system, ready to water my pots. I am sure my friend will appreciate not having to spend any more time than needed to keep my plants from drying up and dying while we are away exercising a few salmon in Juneau.

5 comments:

steve said...

ytou have a beautifull garden, I like the hose idea but in the UK at the moment they are running scared of using too much water so we tend to use it sparingly but you live next to a lake how cool is that have a really nice break and take your 45 magnum if you have one just in case of Bears

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

Hi Steve, we are lucky as we have our own well on the property so I can use as much water as I want. We are actually living on an island so we are surrounded by salt water. Yes there are bears in Juneau but we have not seen any the last couple of years, thank goodness, just seen where they had been. Its is very disconcerting to see a salmon with a huge bite out of it on the riverbank right next to where you are fishing. We are very careful, Mr.C has been a fishing guide in Alaska for many years so he knows the drill when it comes to bears and safety.

Ginco said...

Just looking at that automatic
sprinkler system makes me home-
sick for my long lost garden,
*sigh*

Have a wonderful holiday, looking
forward to Alaskan pictures.

Ted said...

I really like your new watering system. Think I'll check it out by hopping over to our brand new Home Depot[less than one week]. I'm only 10 minutes away.

Hope you and Mr C have a dandy time up in Alaska. We will be looking forward to your posts. Stay safe!

Anonymous said...

Have a great holiday, looking forwards to the picks.


Helen